Chemical, energy and processing plants are often subject to heat, aggressive media and high pressure. These circumstances demand steel with high corrosion and acid resistance that are resilient even at high temperatures. If the ferrite content is too low, then the welded material is susceptible to hot-cracking, if the ferrite content is too high, the toughness, ductility as well as the corrosion resistance of the steel are reduced. For duplex steel, a ferrite deficit in the area of the weld seam results in stress corrosion cracking and reduction in strength.
Within their range of material testing instruments, Dyne Testing offers customers the Feritscope – a hand held instrument which enables the user to measure the ferrite content in a range of applications:
- Duplex steel
- Austenitic steel welds (tubes, sheets)
- Normal steel with austenitic chrome alloy steel welded cladding (boilers, vessels)
The Feritscope is suited for measurements according to the Basler-Standard and according to DIN EN ISO 17655. Areas of application are onsite measurements, e.g. of austenitic platings as well as weld seams in stainless steel pipes, containers, boilers or other products made of austenitic or duplex steel.
It is easy to measure the ferrite content accurately when using the Feritscope. Upon probe placement on the surface of the specimen, the reading is displayed automatically and stored in the instrument. The probe can also be placed onto hard to reach areas. For such applications, the instrument features an “external start” function to trigger the measurements with the push of a button. This is ideal for measurements in pipes, bore holes or grooves.
Finding weld seams in polished surfaces is made easy through the “continuous display” instrument function. When scanning the surface with the probe with this function enabled, the continuous readings are displayed only. A change in the ferrite content reading indicates that the weld seam has been found.
Measurement influencing factors do not significantly affect the Feritescope. Ferrite content measurements can be carried out regardless of the substrate material properties starting at a plating thickness of 3mm.
- Fast, non-destructive measurement of ferrite content on-site or in the lab
- User-friendly operation menu
- Large easy to read display
- Robust housing
- Measurement range 0.1 to 80% Fe or 0.1 to 110 FN
- Ferrite measurable either in Ferrite percentage “%Fe” or Ferritenumber “FN”
- Measurements according ISO 17655 or “Basler Standard”
- Calibration standards are traceable to internationally approved TWI secondary standards, which fulfil ISO 8249 and AWS A4.2M requirements.
- Corrective calibration with customer-specific standards possible
- Automatic probe recognition.
- Up to 20,000 data memory readings and 100 applications for measurement data in upto 4,000 blocks
- FERITSCOPE FMP30 instrument with wrist strap
- Carry case
- Battery set
- Short form operating instructions
- Printed manual
- Software Fischer DataCentre & USB driver on CD
- Interface cable FMP/PC
|65-FMP30-605-026||Ferritescope FMP 30|
For further information please refer to the Downloads area or contact us for assistance.
|65-604-264||Probe – FGAB1.3-Fe|
|65-604-303||Probe – FGAB06H-Fe|
|65-604-254||Probe – FGABI1.3-150-Fe|
|65-604-341||Probe – FGABI1.3-260-Fe|
|65-604-337||Probe – FGABW1.3-Fe|
See the Downloads area for probes & accessories available